.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hutch's Diary

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

GOOGLE Tricks...!!! -- Really rocking

To define a word, phrase or acronym, just type define: and then your term into Google's search box. The results include a variety of Web glossaries, dictionaries and encyclopedias.

Google tricks such as using quotes to search for a specific phrase or the tilde to search for synonyms of a word can be lifesavers. But not if you can't remember them. The Google Cheat Sheet, a list of commonly used operators, deserves a spot next to your monitor. ( www.google.com/help/cheatsheet.html)

• What does Google ''think" of you? Find out at Googlism, where the search results for a word or phrase are analyzed and your "who," "what," "when" or "where" query is answered. ( www.googlism.com)
The Google Zeitgeist keeps track of what's being searched for at that moment. Check out the search terms gaining in popularity or head to the archives to see what was hot a few years ago. ( www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html)

• Want to know when people are talking about you? Create a Google Alert for your name and Google will e-mail you whenever a news or search item pops up with you in it. ( www.google.com/alerts)

3 Comments:

  • Hey man its super coooooooooool

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:38 AM  

  • Hey harsh!

    You actually found my blog! :P

    I am surprised to see that you found my nomadlife blog...since most of the people on this are AIESECers... Why aren't you in AIESEC yet? :P

    Anyway, with regards to Indians in America. Some make it big, some don't. But I know of many people who go with big unrealistic expectations and get very disappointed at the end of the day. Many people have a skewed perception of the states and often overhype it. look around you, India is beautiful too. I just wonder why the people I've met are so eager to run away from this country. Perhaps it's the system? If it's so bad, can it not be changed?? But who will change it if even the new generation of leaders want to leave it? Are people aware of the brain drain??

    By Blogger Li'er, at 5:48 AM  

  • :) I've gotta get your email so that we don't just communicate via blogger.com

    I definitely appreciate the honesty with regards to AIESEC in India. It's been troubling me alot about the kind of leaders the organization aims to produce at the end of the day. But one thing I know for sure is that you should get involved in the organization in some way!

    You are the type of person the organization needs! AIESEC is not a work abroad placement program, and I don't want it to be one in India. At least for Baroda, the reality is that we are going to attract the "wrong" crowd...people who want to work abroad only. However, the beauty of AIESEC is that we are seeking to develop people. At the end of the day, perhaps there is some hope that we are placing them in an environment where they can be challenged to look beyond personal desires and relate their life to something bigger in the world. I won't profess to say I knew what I wanted to do in life at the age of 19 when I joined the organization though I can safely say it helped me to discover it.

    I remember watching the AIESEC ppt at my info session in MI and feeling this thrill because the organization showed me a way to do something I cared about, and that was bridging gaps between people. My AIESEC experience has been wonderful, where I have met the most amazing mentors and people who have motivated me on my journey of self-discovery. I then realized there are social issues in this world I want to take up during my involvement in the organization such as CSR and women's issues.

    That said, the organization is not for everyone, and people will leave if it's not the right fit. So what's stopping you from doing something right now if you truly care for change?

    Unfortunately, I am not going to be around in baroda for much longer, but I hope you think about what I said and give yourself a chance to find out about AIESEC.

    Keep in touch!
    Li'er
    Email: laiywong@gmail.com

    By Blogger Li'er, at 2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home